Another blog by Boh Tong the ex- SIA cabin crew: He felt humiliated at the cabin crew interview

Wednesday, May 24, 2017

He felt humiliated at the cabin crew interview





Dear Forum Editor,

Good day to you.

I'm a Singaporean who's very proud of my flag carrier Singapore Airlines (SIA) and it's a brand I hold in high esteem.
I'm sharing my experiences in this letter because I'm concerned Singapore Airlines is losing it's competitive edge.

I was a candidate at the most recent SIA cabin crew walk-in interview.
It was a negative experience for me because I met a difficult interviewer at the one-to-one interview.
I answered the interviewer's questions accordingly and when I tried to elaborate relevant points, he made this retort a few times-"did I ask you?".  I was courteous and genuinely smiling during the interview and the interviewer told me to stop smiling.  The warm smiles of the Singapore Airlines cabin crew is one of their signature traits.  Shouldn't a cheerful disposition be a desirable trait in a cabin crew candidate?  When I told the interviewer I want to work for my own flag carrier instead of other airlines and I'm willing to learn to improve myself, he replied sarcastically, "did you go for a course to prepare for this interview".  I was rejected after the interview.
I'm not disgruntled because I didn't get the job, I can accept if I'm unsuitable.  However, the interviewer's attitude made me feel demoralized and put down.

In July this year, I had a different experience during the Emirates Cabin Crew recruitment campaign organized by Sass Atlantic.
I credit and appreciate Emirates and Sass Atlantic for making it a positive experience, even though I was unsuccessful.
The Recruitment Officers from Emirates were professional, encouraging and kind throughout the selection process.
Sass Atlantic staffers provided invaluable assistance and guidance to all candidates.

In sharing my experiences, I wish to highlight that any job interview should be the candidate's platform to promote himself and his qualities that make him suitable for the job and the interview decorum should be in accordance with the company's image.  If the job interview isn't properly conducted, how will the company suss-out the best candidate for the job.  Some candidates for airline jobs may become the target market or potential passengers of the airline they interviewed with.  The interview experience will affect how the candidate perceives the airline in future. If SIA doesn't address these issues, I'm concerned they'll loose out to competitors.

Thank you for your attention.

BT: Song sung and lyrics written by yours truly.

2 comments:

Wake up said...

Too often some Singaporeans will blame FT HR managers for not hiring Singaporeans but sometimes Singaporean HR managers themselves prefer FTs!

Anonymous said...

From your ability,you are more suitable as a writer or some related jobs unless you stick to one term of five years.With Sexcy,Botak,and most unloved and suck up people who got positions through doing the right things like teaching on off days,no rest day,sacrifice relationship include your mother and father and all.Complains by paxs valid,pps as good as gospel truth,when handled by Sexcy,and the rest of the brigade ,dont expect justice as your rights.It requires a sea change of thoughts,then this job for you.The good point,see the world and more,one need to manage the bad.