Another blog by Boh Tong the ex- SIA cabin crew: A traditional Chinese dish at a hawker stall

Sunday, May 21, 2017

A traditional Chinese dish at a hawker stall



Last night, I took a detour as I was driving along the CTE, to AMK Ave 3 to have my favourite fried Hokkien mee. However, I was disappointed to discover the stall was shut. As I was walking around the hawker center, I spotted a stall selling claypot rice. Although there was a short queue, I saw many unwashed empty claypot, rice bowls etc piling up on a table. Many people were also having the claypot rice. I approached the stall and studied its menu (at least 10 varities). There were many dishes eg: sting ray in curry sauce, chicken curry, ginger chicken in soya sauce etc. Finally, I settled for the black soya sauce pork trotters in vinegar with ginger. I ordered a bowl of rice too.
After a 10 minute wait, my order came. It was piping hot and I waited patiently for it to cool. The first sip of the black sauce or gravy took me by surprise. It was excellent. It reminds me of my childhood days when my mother gave birth to my little brother and sisters. It was during those time, my grandmother would cook pork trotters in vinegar with lots of ginger for my mother. It was a Chinese tradition and the dish was to keep the mothers-to-be or after giving birth, the warmth they needed. Whatever my mother could not finished, I would gladly help myself to it.
After finishing my dinner, I went up to the hawkers and complimented them for cooking such a great, tasty dish. It was worth the money I've paid for ($6).
Watch this video on how to prepare and cook the above.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Best Hokkien mee is in Klang,Selangor.Bak kuh teh too