Another blog by Boh Tong the ex- SIA cabin crew: Reminiscing the past: my unforgetable neighbours

Sunday, July 3, 2016

Reminiscing the past: my unforgetable neighbours

There would be certain special memories we cherished throughout the rest of our lives especially the wonderful ones. More so when these occurred in our early years.

One day, a lovely and loving couple moved in next door. They were in their late twenties and were nice people. I was about 17 then and being helpful, I was instantly liked by them. The gentleman's name was Tim and his girl friend was Dolly.
Tim wasn't employed while Dolly was working in the office. I used to run errands for them as I had a bicycle. The shops selling groceries and food was about a mile or two away and I would cycle to get the stuff for them.
In the evening after dinner, I would sit around and chat with them. During the weekends when Dolly wasn't working, she would cook for us. Sometimes I felt bad for invading their privacy. I had wanted to leave them alone but most of the time, they would pester me to be with them.

I learned the Cha Cha as well as the slow dances like foxtrot and waltz from them. Their favourite songs were those sung by The Everly Brothers, examples "All I have to do is dream", "Bye Bye Love", "Cathy's Clowns" etc etc. I had a terrific time with Tim and Dolly.
Tim was like a big brother and Dolly a big sister to me.


One day after I returned from a school camping trip, I discovered that Dolly and Tim broke up. As Tim related the story of the breakup, tears began to roll down my cheeks. For the first time in my life, I felt very sad.
Dolly, I found out was a married woman. She had to leave Tim as her husband had found out about their affair. Tim was brokenhearted and almost resorted to suicide.
It took Tim many months before he recovered from the sad episode. A year later, Tim married a girl from the same kampong. I was really happy for Tim.
Even till today, 53 years later, I still love the songs by the Everly Brothers. In fact, one of my favourite songs I would sing at the karaoke session is " All I have to do is dream.."
Tim has since passed away.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

How about Dolly what has happened to her?

Boh Tong aka Luke Tan said...

Tim told me Dolly was beaten up by her husband and in-laws for getting involved in a love affair with Tim. They got some gangsters to threaten Tim too.

Anonymous said...

Everly brothers?

My mommy and her late mommy also like them in addition to bachelor boy Cliff and Rick Nelson.

As for me,I like their hair do ..James Dean.

Music really is a universal language.

Lightning express and ebony eyes still make me cry eventhough I'm from a different generation.

MY leng lui

Boh Tong aka Luke Tan said...

Yup we like the songs from Cliff Richard and Ricky Nelson as well. James Dean, oh yea Tim's hairstyle was like his. Thanks for commenting :-)