Another blog by Boh Tong the ex- SIA cabin crew: 2 contrasting classmates from rich background

Monday, December 28, 2015

2 contrasting classmates from rich background

Both were from rich families. We went to the same primary school. The story isn't about me because I was of a different league. Most of us were from humble background. The period I am talking about was from 1954 to 1959. Singapore was a British colony. It was before Lee Kuan Yew's era. Unlike today, Singapore consisted of slums and poor people. The rich were very rich and the poor were extremely poor living in squatters without proper sanitation or drinking water.
The story is about David and Mike. They were chauffeured in big Cadillacs to school while most of us either cycled or walked to school.Their fathers were filthy rich. David's dad was a footwear manufacturer and exporter while Mike's dad was in the real estate business. These two boys were pampered and each had a majie or servant accompanying them to school.
As they grew up, David dropped out of school and became a thug while Mike did well in his studies and inherited his dad's real estate business.

I met both of them when we were in our forties. David wanted to borrow money from me. He was a gambler and lost his share of his dad's inheritance. On the other hand, when I met Mike ( David,Mike and I had not met each other since we were kids), he invited me to his luxurious house in East Coast.

The last time I heard of David was that he was in prison for cheating. Later, he died of a heart attack (after his release). David'd father would have turned in his grave if he knew what had happened to his favourite son.

As for Mike, he has sold off his business and is now enjoying his retirement.

No comments: