Another blog by Boh Tong the ex- SIA cabin crew: The cost of living in Japan

Friday, September 1, 2023

The cost of living in Japan

The good thing about living in Japan is first and foremost the cost of living is low as compared to Singapore. I am talking about places like Fukuoka, Hiroshima etc. The bigger cities like Tokyo, Osaka etc. are more expensive to live in. However, Singapore is still more expensive to live in as compared to these big cities.
I will give you a few examples to back up my claim that it is cheaper in Fukuoka than in Singapore. A 1,200 sq ft detached house (bungalow as you may call it in SG) built on a 4,000 sq ft of freehold land cost about S$500,000. The district I am referring to, in my opinion, is the equivalent of Newton area in SG.
An average Japanese car like a 1600cc Toyota or Honda cost around 2.5 million Yen or S$25,000. In Singapore they would probably cost about S$120,000+ each.
A meal in an average restaurant cost S$6 to S$10. My breakfast of 2 eggs, sausage, bacon, toast and free flow of coffee, tea, cold drink and soup is about S$6. The breakfast of 2 eggs, toast and a cup of coffee or tea cost the same in Toast Box, Yakun Kaya etc. Besides, the restaurants here are quieter and are usually 70% empty. One may also stay and drink more coffee for the duration of the breakfast period of 3 hours with free wi-fi provided.
In my next post I will touch on medical care and others, so stay tune.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Luke possible to ask you few questions about living in Japan? How can I reach you?

Boh Tong aka Luke Tan said...

Contact me at email address bohsushi@gmail.com