Another blog by Boh Tong the ex- SIA cabin crew: Overly sensitive ex-colleagues

Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Overly sensitive ex-colleagues

When one gets old there is a tendency to be overly sensitive with even the most trivial issues. Below were 3 of my ex-colleagues who belonged to the group.
  • An old woman who got along fine with me in the work place and even after retiring from the airline. One day I asked her to endorse my e-guide which I was selling to the young aspiring cabin crew by saying a few words. She was upset with me for not telling her or put it this way I didn't rope her into the business. Ever since that day, 8 years ago, she refused to speak to me.
  • Another ex-colleague who considered me his "friend" but disassociated with me once he found out that I was "Boh Tong" who published the book titled "Fasten your seatbelts". I think he was envious or perhaps ashamed of me.
  • An ex-IFS was so upset with me when I didn't reply to his WhatsApp messages instantaneously that he blocked me from his phone.
Sometimes I wonder why do old people become so very sensitive and upset over small issues. Don't they value the years of friendship?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you held an important position before retiring then you will have a much harder time dealing with retirement. Before retiring,you were the point of reference for those around you and you got used to the attention so much so that after retiring,you feel less significant since you don't get as much attention as you did previously.

Your sense of worth came from knowing you held an important position (ifss etc) and people looked up to you. This is the mistake many make while working where they equate their sense of worth with material things like work,status and money. That's why even the most seemingly trivial thing like not replying a message promptly is misconstrued. Trivial things get amplified and misunderstandings occur when they could so easily have been avoided.

Moral of the story?

While working,have a life outside work and a large circle of friends comprising people outside the industry and within so you can deal with retirement better,especially if you are unmarried. Most important of all,make time for yourself.........go fishing or watch the sunset at the beach with your electronic devices switched off.These things that you do while working will go a long way in ensuring you are mentally,emotionally and physically fit to cope with retirement and thus minimise or avoid the situations you described above.


Boh Tong aka Luke Tan said...

To Anonymous above: well said and thanks for commenting.